Rube Goldberg device is a deliberately over-engineered machine that performs a very simple task in a very complex fashion. For this project, you will be using Flash to design and animate a Rube Goldberg device involving 5 or more transformations. [youtube_sc url=”http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qybUFnY7Y8w”] Task 1: Design Sketch (Homework)
- Look at different designs on Google Images and RubeGoldberg.com.
- Select a simple task (i.e. purpose):
- waking up a person in the morning
- opening or closing a door
- turning on the light
- flipping over a pan-fried egg
- feeding the dog
- scratching your back
- Be creative and think of a sequence of complex actions that fulfills the purpose (i.e. process). The sequence must have at least 5 transformations or steps by the time the device completes its simple task. Refer to the rubric below.
- Sketch and label your final Rube Goldberg device by hand. Note: the sketch must be original but the idea can be adapted from pre-existing ones.
|Criteria||4: Exceeding Expectations||3: Fully Meeting Expectations||2: Minimally Meeting Expectations||1: Not within Expectations|
|Design / Sketch||Simple task is achieved with more than five steps; and steps are well labeled.||Simple task is achieved with only five steps; and steps are well labeled.||Simple task is achieved with only five steps; or steps are poorly labeled.||Simple task is achieved with four or fewer steps; or steps are not labeled.|
|Introduction||Introduction exists. Purpose is clear.||Introduction exists. Purpose is clear.||Introduction does not exist.|
|Visual Quality of Graphics and Details||Good graphics and well detailed.||Average graphics and fairly detailed.||Poor graphics or poorly detailed.||Poor graphics and poorly detailed.|
|Overall Quality of Animation||Animation is beyond basic and has other effects (e.g. sounds).||Animation is beyond basic (e.g. gravity) but has no other effects.||Animation is basic (i.e. classic tween).||Animation is crude or illogical.|