For this assignment, you will create a simple top-down vertical shooter game similar to classics like 1942 and Raiden. The assignment will review keyboard events, frame events, and collision detections.
Evaluation: The game is marked out of 10 based on the following criteria:
- Player (2 marks)
- Player is controlled by the arrow keys. Transition to diagonal movement is allowed. (1 mark)
- Laser is projected from the player when space bar is pressed. (1 mark)
- Enemy (3 marks)
- Enemy moves from top to bottom. (1 mark)
- Enemy respawns randomly at the top of the stage when it reaches bottom or when it is destroyed (whichever happens first). (1 marks)
- Enemy fires a bullet some time after entering stage. (1 mark)
- Collisions (3 marks)
- Player laser destroys enemy.
- Enemy destroys player when they collide.
- Enemy bullets destroy player.
- Other Considerations (2 marks + bonus)
- Try again prompt (or frame) is displayed when player is destroyed. (1 mark)
- Player and enemy can only shoot if they are still alive. (1 mark)
- Bonus: Enemy bullet is fired in the direction of the player. (bonus +1)
- Sprites are retrieved and extracted from http://members.gamedev.net/Prinz_Eugn/AircraftSprites.zip under Creative Commons license.