Do your parents ever ask you computer and technology-related questions? They might ask: “How do you set the PVR to record my favorite TV show?”, “How do you copy this movie onto a DVD?” or “How can I download music onto my iPod?”
For this assignment, you will create a “how-to” wiki entry on mrkam.ca/wiki with typical parents as the target audience. Through this assignment, you will learn how to provide clear and concise instructions to other and learn how to create and edit a wiki entry.
- Brainstorm a few computer or technology-related questions that your parents typically ask you. These questions typically start with “How do you … ?”.
- Try to answer these questions using research and personal experience. A good place to start your research would be wikiHow and community forums. Take good notes to avoid plagiarism.
- Write down how you would solve the problem step-by-step. The main steps should be clear and concise, starting with a verb. Within each main step, there should be a more detailed description. It may be a good idea to start by reading How to Write Instructions on wikiHow.
- Start on the wiki entry on mrkam.ca/wiki once you have the content completed. You need to log in using the username and password provided by the teacher. Refer to Wiki Basics for markup reference and How to Create a Wiki for a sample how-to wiki. The how-to wiki should have the following components:
- Introduction: What is the purpose of the wiki? Who is the audience? Why is it important?
- Instructions: Clear and concise step-by-step instructions with main points in bold. These points should be supported by detailed descriptions explaining what is achieved and/or why this step is important. If necessary, use images to improve your communication. Minimum 5 main steps with supporting statements and 3 images.
- Frequently Asked Questions: Consider common questions and their solutions. Anticipate what can go wrong. Minimum 3 questions.
- See Also: Links to other wikis that are related your wiki. For example, “How to download music” may be related to “How to put MP3 music on iPod”. You need to read the topics on the Main Page.
The assignment will be marked out of 20. The majority of the marks will be based on clear, concise communication (i.e. what you write, how you write, to whom you write). Quarter of the marks will be given to formatting and layout (i.e. how it looks).
- Introduction (2 marks)
- Instructions with Images (10 marks)
- FAQ (3 marks)
- Formatting and Layout (5 marks)