For this project, you will install a distribution of Linux on VirtualBox and manage within this operating system. Management includes installing new software, updating existing software, creating new users and restricting/revoking privileges, etc.
- Download and install the newest version of VirtualBox.
- Review and compare the different Linux distributions. Select any of the popular Linux distributions and download the 32-bit version.
- Install the Linux operating system onto a 8GB+ dynamic virtual disk. Make sure you allot enough hard-drive space and memory to the virtual environment.
- Note: Because student profiles occasionally get removed from the PCs, it is strongly recommended to make of copies of the virtual disk onto a USB flash drive. Otherwise, students may be required to re-download and install.
- Create an admin account with a password of your choice.
- Make sure you turn off the virtual machine properly, or else it may have difficulties booting up in the future.
Check back later for further instructions.