Our class will focus on touch typing for the first month. Touch typing means typing without looking at the keyboard to find the keys. Specifically, a touch typist will know their location on the keyboard through muscle memory. Touch typing involves placing the eight fingers on the home row (i.e. A-S-D-F and J-K-L-; keys) and having them reach for other keys.
With proper training, an individual’s typing speed and accuracy will increase dramatically over time. Every individual learns at a different pace and routine practice is required to maintain a high typing speed and accuracy. The goals for the typing unit include:
- Demonstrate proper body ergonomics while typing.
- Use correct fingers to strike keys.
- Maintain eye contact with the monitor.
- Achieve speed of 20 WPM or faster (gross).
- Achieve accuracy of 90% or better.
With these goals in mind, we will sequentially complete the Beginner Course (11 lessons) on TypingWeb.com. Each student will log in using a unique account:
- Username: wind123456 (“wind” + student number)
- Password: 123456 (student number)